By Dr. Russ,
After the Newtown massacre of 6 and 7 year old children, I observed people coming together in mourning at memorial services held in churches all over the country. It is not unusual for tragedy to lead us to seek comfort in God; to look for the Lord’s guidance and yes protection. To me that would mean people now would seek out God more and guns less. Protection of the soul and the spirit within is not had with a gun, but only with God. So what has happened?
According the New York Times, Americans are flocking to gun stores across the country in record numbers to purchase not just guns, but weapons designed to kill 10 to 100 people in under a minute. Thirty round, high capacity, rifle magazines are now selling for $60 up from $12 a few weeks ago.
These Americans who have made this choice to arm themselves with what I consider to be “weapon s of mass destruction” have forsaken the protection of God for the false belief that they can play God and protect themselves. On the way to the gun store, they have forgotten ten truths about God.
Ten Truths Americans Forgot about God on the Way to the Gun Store
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. fought the final major battle for the equality of blacks in America on a platform of non-violence, peace, love and reconciliation. The guns that were used, were used by those who sought to destroy the African American, but only fueled the determination of their spirit of endurance.
2. The watch-phrase of the 60’s was “We Shall Overcome.” And, overcome they did without firing a shot despite being fired upon over and over.
3. It took four centuries, but the Roman Empire despite putting thousands upon thousands of Christians to horrible deaths in the Coliseums finally became a Christian Empire in 381 AD.
4. Evil works through the creation of irrational fear that there is nothing we can do to keep ourselves safe except to take up evil and try and fight evil with evil.
5. Evil is stymied when we come close to God, place him in our hearts and talk to Him moment-to-moment, everyday.
6. Jesus taught that life is not about the flesh and worldly things, but about the spirit and life everlasting. On a given day, in some particular circumstance, someone may protect their flesh with a gun, but protection of the spirit can only be sought through prayer and peaceful coexistence with our fellow human beings.
7. The reason the Founding Father’s were successful in overthrowing British rule in the American Revolution had little to do with the right to bear arms and everything to do with an unyielding spirit and belief that, “All people were created equal and had the right life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” How else could that “rag tag” group of colonists under the command of General Washington have prevailed except for a belief in the ideal for which they were fighting. They were not fighting to protect their own flesh. They put their flesh at risk to protect some projected future, which was an IDEA!!!!!
8. In their rush to the gun store, they have forgotten that the logical extension of their thinking is an SUV that transforms into a tank for protection of the homeowner, or the pocket size tactical nuclear weapon.
9. We have a choice to choose God and not guns. When we choose guns we choose to play God. I do not recall any Bible story where it turned out well for one or more humans to play God.
10. God created the world and everything in it including humans so that we could experience the joy of living with God and walking with Jesus through worship and honoring Him. Life is not about us! Life is about God! God will not forsake us. Those Newtown families who choose to seek out God and come closer to Him will be assured that their lost loved ones are being cared for by God, and they will find a deeper meaning and joy in their renewed spirit that will come from this death than ever imagined.