By Dr. Russ,
Last night the special prosecutor in Florida assigned to the Trevon Martin case issued a warrant for the arrest of George Zimmerman the self confessed killer who claimed self defense in the name of his neighborhood watch duties. It has been over a month since the 17 year old teenager was shot and killed and Zimmerman released on the basis of the Florida, “Stand Your Ground Law.”
Are you asking: Where is the optimism in this story? Here are five reasons for optimism.
- The optimism is grounded in the fact that we live in a country that guarantees freedom of the press. In this case the press was relentless in the pursuit of justice in the face of what clearly appeared to be a travesty of it.
- Yes, the fact that Zimmerman was not initially arrested smacked of ongoing “institutional racism” in this country. But, before the advent of the civil rights movement and the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, no arrest would have been made initially or now. We have HOPE thanks to the work of King and others some fifty years ago.
- Optimism is grounded in effort and hard work because without our endurance and striving nothing would be accomplished. The hard work of current day civil rights leaders, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and others resulted in protest marches in Florida, D.C. and other places around the country.
- The news media never gave up in its relentless pursuit of facts that would clarify what happened that night and create a national fervor for justice. Optimists never give up.
- We now have the blessing of our justice system. No system of justice is perfect, but ours, by most accounts, assures the fairest approach by guaranteeing equal justice for all regardless of race or religious belief. Now instead of the daily trying of the case in the news media, it will be handled in court, by court rules. There will be much less publicity, but there will be a chance for fairness to be made available to all parties including George Zimmerman.
This story adheres to the Dr. Russ "Optimism Formula:"
- OPTIMISM = HOPE + HARD WORK + BLESSINGS THAT COME WITH EFFORT